Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Wedding Theme Ideas

When I first started thinking of wedding themes and decor, I wanted a nostalgic, quirky theme. All kinds of charming details like signs with weather-worn paint, mason jars for drinking glasses, crazy straws, paper flowers...All that lovely stuff. I started looking all over the internet for decor ideas and found them everywhere.
 EVERYWHERE.
Apparently, weddings and receptions with that theme are the big thing right now. It was a little disappointing. As hipster-tastic as it sounds, I don't want a mainstream style wedding. I want something memorable and unique to Will and I. Yeah, the wedding itself would be memorable because its our wedding for goodness sake (OUR wedding. our WEDDING. I'm still getting happy stomach butterflies just thinking about it!), but I want to look back and know that I had a wedding like no other I've heard of before.
With that in mind, these are my new ideas! I swear, I think of the best damn things when I'm half asleep. Good thing I had my laptop in front of me or I probably would have forgotten.

My Beloved Monster and Me
This theme is based off of a song thats kinda one of Will and I's cutesy couple songs.

Apparently, it was on one of the Shrek movies.....but I don't care. I liked it before I knew that :P
I was thinking of making cute paper-mache monsters holding up table numbers for the centerpieces. Cute like these. 
Stripes would be one of the theme accents. Like cute stripey socks and stockings. 
They're just too cute! 

 I think I would make some monster masks on sticks, too. They'd be a fun prop for photos and a cute favor if I made enough of them.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Victorian Retro
Ok, so I still like the idea of a vintage wedding.....but I also want to indulge my gross, girly love of lace (I'm secretly very fancy). 
First on the list, classy hats!! (you're welcome, Jimmy, lol)
 Also, tiny hats.  :D I don't know who this girl is, by the way.

I wish the dog was wearing his hat.

Also, I was thinking of making fake vinyl records and painting them with victorian wallpaper patterns. (I'm pretty sure my Dad would be upset if I used real vinyl records. I would be too, hahaha)
Hideously gorgeous!

I'll probably thrift myself some old fashioned jewelry and stuff. I really like this bouquet idea. I also like the idea of having root beer floats and/or a glass bottle soda bar
Also, you know those lacy doily paper place mats?.......Yeah. (deal with it, fool!!)
Another also: balloons.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Crafty 

There's a lot of cute DIY projects out there that I've come across in my hikes around the internet. Most of them seem like they would go well if used with other DIY looking stuff....but would make anything else look tacky.
One idea is paper covered tables and some type of crayon centerpiece so people can draw on the tables. When the party is over, I can go around and cut out all of the stuff people drew and keep it in a scrapbook or something. I have a lot of artistic people invited to my wedding. Children too. I think paper table covers would keep them from getting too bored.
I also found a few tutorials on making yarn pompom garland.

They're super easy to make and easy to coordinate to any color scheme. I'd probably string them on fishing line so they look more like they're just hanging there.

Once again, balloons. I'd fill them with helium and tie various lengths of fishing line to them so that I could have  origami lucky stars dangling sweetly above everybody.


I'll probably also do some type of decor involving painted bottlecaps. I have a big ziplock bag of them that Will snagged for me when he worked at Cebar's. I've had them for aaaaaaages.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

Those are my ideas so far :) in order from my most favorite to my least favorite (though I'm still really fond of my least favorite)
No matter what my theme ends up being, some things are going to be there even if they're out of place. Like crazy straws. I friggin' LOVE crazy straws! They're so unreasonable to own because they taste like soap forever after you wash them, but they'd be perfect as something disposable for a party. Also, like I said, paper stars. They're easy to customize and make. 

Do you have any project ideas for these themes? Any suggestions? post a comment and tell me! :D

1 comment:

  1. I love the bouquet idea! I love the antique-y look of that, I geeked out when I saw them. I'll get back to you on suggestions :D

    ReplyDelete